Transparency/Freedom of Information Act
Please find below the guidelines we follow to meet the requirements of the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Open Meetings Act Information
Per Public Act 97-0609 – Posting Information Regarding Member Compensation: the information is posted in the Public Notice case at the front of the Administration Building located at 3501 Kishwaukee Street, Rockford, Illinois 61109.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
Response Time –– Responses to FOIA requests will be in compliance with Public Act 096-0542. When a written request is submitted, a public body is required to comply with or deny the request “promptly”, which is further defined as within five (5) business days of the request. Under extraordinary circumstances, the Act provides that the five-day period for response may be extended up to five (5) additional business days. This time may be extended if:
- The requested records are stored in whole or in part at locations other than the office having charge of the records;
- The request requires the collection of a substantial number of specified records;
- The request is couched in categorical terms and requires an extensive search for the records responsive to it;
- The requested records have not been located in the course of routine search and additional efforts are being made to locate them;
- The requested records require examination and evaluation by personnel having the necessary competence and discretion to determine if they are exempt from disclosure under Section 7 of this Act or should be revealed only with appropriate deletions;
- The request for records cannot be complied with by the public body within the time limits prescribed by subsection 3(c) without unduly burdening or interfering with the operations of the public body; or
- There is a need for consultation, which shall be conducted with all practicable speed, with another public body or among two or more components of a public body having a substantial interest in the determination or in the subject matter of the request.
When additional time is required for any of these reasons, the person making the request must be notified within five (5) days of the request of the specific reason for the delay and the date when either the records will be released or the denial of the request will be made. The extended time period cannot be longer than five (5) additional business days, unless agreed to in writing by both parties. If no response is made within that time period, the request will be considered denied.
Record Review Locations –– Records that are available for review can be viewed at the District’s Administration Building located at 3501 Kishwaukee Street, Rockford, Illinois, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For further information, please contact the District by phone at 815-387-7420, by fax at 815-387-7538, or by e-mail to RRWRD FOIA.
Fees –– There will be no charge for the first 50 pages of black and white copies on letter or legal sized paper. Additional letter or legal sized pages will cost $0.15 per page. If color copies or other sized paper copies are requested, the fee shall not exceed the actual cost of reproduction. This fee shall be waived or reduced if the District determines that waiver or reduction of fees “is in the public interest.” A waiver or reduction is “in the public interest” if the primary purpose of the request for access is to disseminate information for the benefit of the general public and not for personal or commercial benefit. A request made by the news media is not for “commercial benefit” when the principal purpose of the request is to obtain and disseminate information regarding the health, safety, and welfare or the legal rights of the general public.
To Request Information –– Information or records may be requested from Ms. Susan Skinner, Legal Secretary (see lobby directory or dial 815-387-7491); J Hanley, General Counsel (see lobby directory or dial 815-387-7492); or Ms. Melinda Roach, Procurement/Word Processor (see lobby directory or dial 815-387-7425). You may use the Optional FOIA Request Form.
Correspondence –– Correspondence should be addressed to any of the above parties c/o Rock River Water Reclamation District, 3501 Kishwaukee Street, Rockford, IL 61109.
Additional Transparency/FOIA Information
The Rock River Water Reclamation District complies with requirements of the Freedom of Information Act. You can review the Act here:
Full-time employees: 110
Part-time employees: varies from 1 to 30, depending on the season
Documents Available For Immediate Release
For additional information regarding FOIA, visit the Illinois General Assembly website.
For ordinances not listed on this web site e-mail District Administration