The Billing and Collection Department
is primarily responsible for our approximatelly 70,000 residential customers. This includes reviewing water-billing data from the five municipalities supported by the District. The department also is responsible for collection activities for both residential and commercial accounts, including the filing of liens, and disconnection of water.

The department also processes all Utility Billing and Special Assessments payments.

To contact Billing call 815-387-7500 or email
For Industrial/Commercial Billing, call 815-387-7460 or email
Industrial/Commercial/Government Billing .
For Collections call 815-387-7510 or email

Where and how can bills be paid?

        In Person
Payments are accepted at our Administration Building located at 3501 Kishwaukee St..  The walkup window in our lobby is open during from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday except for Holidays. A drive up window (also located on the south side of our Administration Building) is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday except for Holidays. You can pay by cash, check, money order, cashiers checks or credit card.  Checks, money orders or cashiers checks should be made out to the Rock River Water Reclamation District (RRWRD).   Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted at the District's offices.

After Hours
The District has an after hours drop box located on the south side of our 3501 Kishwaukee St. Administration Building, next to the drive up window - please DO NOT LEAVE CASH in the drop box.  Checks, money orders or cashiers checks should be made out to the Rock River Water Reclamation District (RRWRD) and should always have the account number written on check and include the bill stub.

Internet (ebill)
The District allows you to get and pay your bills over the Internet. Payments can be made by credit card (Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express) or from a checking account. Signing up for District ebill will save you $1.25 per bill. For more information
CLICK HERE . To sign up for ebill CLICK HERE .

Alpine Bank Branches
You can pay at any Alpine Bank branch by cash, check, money order, or cashiers checks. Payments at the bank will only be accepted with a valid bill stub.  For a list of Alpine Bank branches

Walmart Stores
You can pay your bill at any Walmart store.  Please note that Walmart charges a convenience fee for this service.  This fee is NOT a charge of the Rock River Water Reclamation District.

How does a new customer obtain service with the Rock River Water Reclamation District?
When a person is purchasing a new home, they need to find out from the realtor what water department will service their new home. If it is any of the surrounding water departments such as City of Rockford Water, North Park Water, Loves Park Water, Cherry Valley Water, Rockton Water, all you need to do is contact them to set up a new service and they will send that information to us. If your property is on a well it is the responsibility of the seller or new owner to contact us. You should be able to find out this information from your Realtor. New homeowners should also read about the User Connection Inspection requirements HERE. The new homeowner may also want to ask if the property has a lawn watering credit meter.

How does the District bill?

The District purchases billing information from surrounding water departments through an intergovernmental agreement with each water department. We receive water consumption, billing adjustments, and name & address changes.

How does the District calculate Bills?

The District calculates the bills by multiplying the water consumption received from the water departments with our current billing rates. Accounts that are on wells do not have a meter to read, so they are billed an average consumption.

The District calculates Industrial/Commercial User Fee bills using the flow volume and a concentration value for BOD, TSS and NH4-N (Wastewater Characteristics or WWCs). These WWCs are obtained by sampling and analyses conducted by the Rock River Water Reclamation District.

In order to calculate an estimated Industrial/Commercial User Fee bill CLICK HERE.

What is the District current billing Rate?

For bills issued after April 1, 2015,  the billing rate is approximately $3.01 per hundred cubic feet (100 cubic feet = 748.052 gallons) of water used for the residential users.  

What if I can't afford to pay my bill?

We have partnered with a local agency to provide assistance to qualifying low-income households. Users who need assistance with their sewer bill should contact the Rockford Human Services Department at 779-348-7114.

How does the District bill well accounts?

Well accounts are based on an overall average of all single family residential accounts.

How often do we bill?

Bills are issued every 3 months, except for North Park who are billed every 2 months. Our bills normally cover a time period 3 months behind our issue date.
Do we give adjustments on filling swimming pools or watering lawns?

No adjustments are given for filling swimming pools or watering lawns. However the District has a summer discount program that automatically gives those customers with actual readings a credit on summer bills, which is an average of your two winter bills plus 20%. The actual readings are the responsibility of the owner and servicing water departments.

All metered water users that do not have credit meters automatically receive summer discount for filling a pool, watering the garden or watering the lawn. This program requires that users have actual water readings throughout the year.

There are several advantages to the summer discount program.

  • No expense for installing a credit mater.
  • No hassle of reading a credit meter.
  • No risk of reading the wrong meter.
  • No hassle of dealing with broken credit meters.
  • No time crunch to get credit meter cards returned promptly.
  • No chance of meter cards getting lost in the mail.


How do we get credit for lawn sprinkling systems?

If lawn sprinkling credit meters are installed customers need to contact the District for meter inspection upon installation of your meter. Credit meter cards are sent out two times per year and need to be filled out by the customer to receive credit on your wastewater bill. If the incorrect meter is read the customer will not receive credit on their account. It is very important you know what meter services your incoming water and what meter is for the credit meter. Should a credit meter malfunction it is the responsibility of the homeowner to repair or replace the meter. If a customer does not wish to replace the meter they can contact the District to be switched to the summer quarter program mentioned previously.

What do we do when we are moving?

You need to contact the water department that supplies your water to set up arrangements with them to have final reading taken. They will then forward that information to us. If you are on a well you need to contact us directly to give us the date you will be moving so we can final your account.

Does the District give bill adjustments?

The District gives a once a year adjustment for major leaks. Bill adjustments are only made if notification and supporting documentation justifying an adjustment are received within 180 days from the bill issue date. No adjustment will be given if the account has more than 4 previous estimates.

Where do I dispose of Hazardous Household Waste?

The City of Rockford Sanitation Division (Dept. of Public Works) manages hazardous waste. Certain household wastes are accepted at 3333 Kishwaukee Street. Material may be dropped off on Saturdays, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. or Sundays noon - 4 p.m.

Please Note:  Compressed gas, explosives and radioactive materials are not accepted.

Call 779-348-7300 for more information.

 Understanding Your Bill?

To learn more about your Bills   CLICK HERE .