About Rock River water Reclamation District
Our Mission Statement
“To effectively collect and treat wastewater, at the lowest long-term cost.”
The Rock River Water Reclamation District was incorporated as the Rockford Sanitary District on November 10, 1926, under the Sanitary District Act of 1917. The primary treatment plant was completed in 1931; a secondary treatment plant and additional treatment facilities were added in 1958. Other additions and changes to the process have occurred over the years.
Brief Overview of What We Do
The Rock River Water Reclamation District protects public health and the environment through innovative and cost-effective management of wastewater and solid waste. Our 1,100 mile-long network of buried sewers carries wastewater from residences, industrial sites, and other businesses to the treatment plant in southeast Rockford, where we convert waste into resources such as recycled water, energy, fertilizer, and recycled materials.