Rock River Water Reclamation District office building

Billing Questions

How does a new customer obtain service with the Rock River Water Reclamation District?

When a person is purchasing a home, he or she needs to find out from the realtor which water department will service the new home. If it is any of the surrounding water departments such as City of Rockford Water, North Park Water, Loves Park Water, Cherry Valley Water, Rockton Water, or the Village of Winnebago Water, all the homeowner needs to do is contact them to set up a new account and they will send that information to us. However, if the property is on a well, it is the responsibility of the seller or new owner to contact us. The realator should have this information. New homeowners should also read about the Clear Water Discharge Ordinance requirements.It would also be beneficial to ask if the property has a lawn watering credit meter.

How does the District bill?

The District purchases billing information from surrounding water departments through an intergovernmental agreement with each water department. We receive water consumption, billing adjustments, and name & address changes.

How does the District calculate Bills?

The District calculates the bills by multiplying the water consumption received from the water departments with our current billing rates. Accounts that are on wells and do not have a meter to read are billed based on an overall average of all single family residential accounts.

The District calculates Industrial/Commercial User Fee bills using the flow volume and a concentration value for BOD, TSS and NH4-N (Wastewater Characteristics or WWCs). These WWCs are obtained by sampling and analyses conducted by the Rock River Water Reclamation District.

Information to calculate an estimated Industrial/Commercial User Fee bill can be found HERE.

What is the District current billing Rate?

For bills issued after April 1, 2021, the billing rate is approximately $4.64 per hundred cubic feet (100 cubic feet = 748.052 gallons) of water used for the residential users plus $7.33 per billing customer charge.

As established by the Combined Rate Ordinance, the Board of Trustees of the Rock River Water Reclamation District sets all rates, fees, charges, penalties, bond requirements, permits, and any other charges for the District.

What if I can’t afford to pay my bill?

We have partnered with a local agency to provide assistance to qualifying low-income households. Users who need assistance with their sewer bill should contact the Rockford Human Services Department at 779-348-7114.

How does the District bill well accounts?

  • Well account bills are based on an overall average of all single family residential accounts.
  • Well accounts may also have a District meter installed for a quarterly fee. This will allow for accurate water usage reads. More information is available HERE.

How often do you bill?

Bills are issued every 3 months, except for North Park residents who are billed every 2 months. Our bills normally cover a time period 3 months behind our issue date.

Do you give adjustments on filling swimming pools or watering lawns?

No adjustments are given for filling swimming pools or watering lawns. However, the District has a Summer Usage Period Discount Program that automatically gives customers with actual readings a credit on summer bills. The credit is based on an average of your winter usage (Jan & Feb) bills plus 20%. The readings are the responsibility of the owner and servicing water departments.

All metered water users that do not have credit meters, automatically receive Summer Usage Period Discount for filling a pool, watering the garden or watering the lawn. This program requires that users have water readings throughout the year.

The advantage to the Summer Usage Period Discount Program is that there is no expense for maintaining a credit meter.  Note that commercial customers are ineligible for the Summer Usage Period Discount Program.

Any residential customer(s) and all commercial customers who desire a credit for actual water used but not returned to the District,  can have the District install a credit meter with an Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) head.   The District or its agents will read the meter remotely.  There is a quarterly fee (or bi-monthly for North Park Public Water customers) based upon meter size.  The fee covers the cost of the credit meter and AMR,  installation (up to the current quoted rate from the installer), and all related meter maintenance.

Residential customers can find more information HERE.

Commercial customers can find more information HERE.

What do we do when we are moving?

You need to contact the water department that supplies your water to set up arrangements with them to have a final reading taken. They will then forward that information to us. If you are on a well you need to contact us directly to give us the date you will be moving so we can final your account.

Can I get an adjustment for a leak?

Sometimes damaged fixtures or equipment can cause unintentional water loss. If this happens, a customer may be eligible for a one–time leak adjustment towards the significant increase in billable consumption. Once repairs have been made and the consumption has dropped back down to the normal range, the following rules must be followed:

Request must be submitted within 180 days of the high bill issue date.

Customer must submit a formal request by completing the leak adjustment form.

Receipts or invoices for the repairs must be provided.


Note: Proof that the leak has been fixed is required and if multiple bills are involved, the adjustment will only be calculated towards the highest bill.